Questions to the festival crew

Posted By Knuð 1/23/2011 7:26:47 PM
Add to Favorites0
Knuð
 Posted 1/23/2011 7:26:47 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 1/8/2013 11:51:08 PM
With the lineup that was confirmed tonight, I have to express my sincere disappointment. I was indeed disappointed with the full list of bands, but please note that this is not at all the reason why I am creating this thread. There will always be years that are better than others.

The three reasons why I am creating this thread are:
1. the empty spot on Friday during the festival
2. the venue and time where Alcest is playing
3. the choice of having Gothminister playing at the festival

1. This needs no elaboration.

My questions are:
Why is there an empty spot on Friday during the festival?
Is there still a last band to be announced?

2. I don't know for sure why you announce certain bands in front of the full lineup, but I assume you do this to make people buy tickets earlier, because it is an advantage for you. When it says nothing about which venue the band will be playing at when the band is announced, it is only fair to assume that the band will either play at John Dee or Rockefeller. I daresay you're being highly disrespectful to the people buying tickets early when you choose to schedule one of these early announced bands to play in another venue than John Dee or Rockefeller when this was not explicitly stated when the band was announced. If we can't be certain the bands will either play in John Dee or Rockefeller, there is no advantage in buying the tickets in advance of the full lineup announcement.

Alcest was one of the bands that were announced in advance of the full lineup announcement. That's when I chose to buy my 4-day festival ticket. In the announcement, it said nowhere that Alcest was to play at Rock In, so I naturally assumed Alcest would either be playing at John Dee or at Rockefeller. However, it appears Alcest will actually be playing at Rock In, where the sound and the stage is terrible, as well as the building plan in general. Although I haven't been at every venue listed on Wednesday, I would still guess that Rock In is the worst venue on the list - by far.

This is not how you should treat the people who buy their tickets early. I strongly suggest you do some rescheduling, making Alcest play at John Dee instead. There should be nothing stopping you from making Alcest play either before or after the Indie record label night. The other three days of the festival, you have five bands playing at the same venue. Regardless of this, Alcest is not exatcly the least popular band in the lineup, and thus deserves a better venue anyway.

I have been a faithful attendee at the festival for some years now, and I have bought my tickets early every year, but it seems Inferno 2011 may be the last unless something is done.

My questions are:
Do you have any comments to what I wrote?
Why did you schedule Alcest to play at Rock In?

3. In interviews with, and texts written by the festival crew, the Inferno festival is said to be an "extreme metal festival", and I really approve of that. However, the festival crew has also expressed that they're not interested in having folk/viking/pagan/whatever-you-choose-to-call-it metal bands on the festival in numbers worth mentioning.

My first questions here are:
What is the reason for this attitude?
Do you consider this type of music to be less "extreme"?

This year, you have confirmed Gothminister as a band playing on the festival.

My second questions here are:
How did you reach the conclusion that Gothminister is more "extreme" than bands like e.g. Moonsorrow, Eluveitie and Equilibrium?
Why did you choose Gothminister as a band for the festival?

Answers are much appreciated.
1/23/2011 7:28:07 PM by Knuð
Odan
 Posted 1/23/2011 8:50:48 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (417 reputation)Supreme Being - (417 reputation)Supreme Being - (417 reputation)Supreme Being - (417 reputation)Supreme Being - (417 reputation)Supreme Being - (417 reputation)Supreme Being - (417 reputation)Supreme Being - (417 reputation)Supreme Being - (417 reputation)

Last Active: 1/23/2011 8:33:20 PM
I registered here just so that I could agree and support you regarding Alcest. In addition to the points you made about the quality of the venue, I believe it should also be taken into consideration that a large portion of Alcests audience are 18 and 19, and that by assigning Alcest to Rock In, you're not only depriving Alcest of a much larger audience, but also missing out on a lot of ticket sales.

The economical thing to do would be to have Alcest switch places with a smaller band, such as Astaroth. (Or ideally Gothminister, but I realize that wont happen)

At the very least your should move Alcest, out of the club-day.
Knuð
 Posted 1/23/2011 11:10:45 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)Supreme Being - (12,403 reputation)

The best thing would of course be to have Alcest playing another day than the club day, but that will not be an option for the band. If you check Alcest's live schedule, you'll see that Alcest will be playing in Denmark the 21st, France the 22nd and UK the 23rd, so this naturally won't happen.

However, it is an option for the band playing in a better venue the same day.
Lars
 Posted 1/23/2011 11:55:55 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 8/22/2013 8:02:16 AM
These things all have pretty logical reasons really...

1) Immortal wanted to play earlier than 01. We had some plans for what to put in that spot but some options fell through, some didn't want to play after Immortal etc.

2) Not all of the clubs on Wednesday are booked by us per say. Ee pay for the bands but the bands are selected by cooperating organisations. I'm sure some have noticed that the John Dee is called Indie Labelnight which means they select the bands to play there. Rock in is booked by South of Heaven.

SOH had Alcest confirmed early on and although we discussed moving them to the main days we decided it wouldn't really be a good idea. It's sort of like stealing a band from a partner or punishing them cause the made a good booking.

Of course it would also be difficult due to the schedule they had.

3) I'm not sure why this is anything to discuss really. It's been repeated a million times already i feel. Yes we are a extreme metal festival (no not a BM festival), but we've always had a few bands that doesn't fit into that "label". Maybe we haven't had anything in just Gothministers genre before but we've had bands pretty far from the "core" genres. If it hurts your ears too much i suggest it as a good time to do some drinking Smile

When it comes to pagan/folk/viking I can't remember having said anything like that but it might be. I can't say I've read interviews others have done so... I feel these are genres where you both find extreme bands and non-extreme bands. We've had some extreme ones in these genres and will probably continue to but there's not that many extreme ones in these genres which is the primary reason you see less of them at the festival too.

To comment on one band you mentioned Eluveitie. We tried to get them last year but it didn't work out due to a scheduling conflict i believe it was. I'm sure they will be back in the discussions sometime in the future.

I might've missed something in your text (for some reason I have short attention span today and that was a lot of text to read) but I hope this answers your questions.
Folkarna
 Posted 1/24/2011 1:46:31 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (1,651 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,651 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,651 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,651 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,651 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,651 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,651 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,651 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,651 reputation)

Last Active: 2/14/2013 3:20:27 PM
My mistake, edit: It really sucks that the live music should end already at 01 after Exhumed on Friday night, why not let them play after Immortal at Rockefeller instead? Then also it will be possible for both bands to have longer sets than 60 minutes if they choose to and everybody will be able to see the popular Exhumed. In any case it's very bad PR to have an empty slot at this prime time if you not reschedule this with any band at all.
1/24/2011 2:30:41 AM by Folkarna
Lars
 Posted 1/24/2011 1:51:43 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)Supreme Being - (21,095 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 8/22/2013 8:02:16 AM
Folkarna (24.01.2011)
It really sucks that the live music should end already at 01 after Urgehal on Friday night, why not let them play after Immortal at Rockefeller instead? Then also it will be possible for both bands to have longer sets than 60 minutes if they choose to and everybody will be able to see the popular Urgehal. In any case it's very bad PR to have an empty slot at this prime time if you not reschedule this with any band at all.

I think you're confused... It's Exhumed that's after Immortal downstairs. Urgehal is on Saturday.
Ecksipoo
 Posted 1/24/2011 1:54:24 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (1,138 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,138 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,138 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,138 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,138 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,138 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,138 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,138 reputation)Supreme Being - (1,138 reputation)

Last Active: 4/18/2011 11:54:02 PM
I must say that I too am disgusted with Alcest's place in the festival schedule. I'm planning on purchasing my tickets and I mainly wanted to go for Alcest.
It's true that a lot of Alcest's audience are under the age of 20. I am 19 and I am travelling with a friend who is 18. I really don't understand why there is an age limit of 20 in some clubs anyway. I am not from Norway, so I'm not familiar with drinking laws or anything like that. Can you only drink certain things at the age of 20 in Norway? Do these clubs have weird strip shows in them that only 20 year olds and older can view?

I don't understand .... Sad

LALALALALALAALALALALA
BeefCurtains
 Posted 1/24/2011 1:56:34 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (407 reputation)Supreme Being - (407 reputation)Supreme Being - (407 reputation)Supreme Being - (407 reputation)Supreme Being - (407 reputation)Supreme Being - (407 reputation)Supreme Being - (407 reputation)Supreme Being - (407 reputation)Supreme Being - (407 reputation)

Last Active: 1/24/2011 1:50:26 AM
Odan (23.01.2011)
I registered here just so that I could agree and support you regarding Alcest. In addition to the points you made about the quality of the venue, I believe it should also be taken into consideration that a large portion of Alcests audience are 18 and 19, and that by assigning Alcest to Rock In, you're not only depriving Alcest of a much larger audience, but also missing out on a lot of ticket sales.

The economical thing to do would be to have Alcest switch places with a smaller band, such as Astaroth. (Or ideally Gothminister, but I realize that wont happen)

At the very least your should move Alcest, out of the club-day.

+1
I am 18 and would like to go mainly because of Alcest.
I'm kinda annoyed that it's aged 20+
Mister Sinister
 Posted 1/24/2011 8:34:25 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme Being - (19,762 reputation)Supreme Being - (19,762 reputation)Supreme Being - (19,762 reputation)Supreme Being - (19,762 reputation)Supreme Being - (19,762 reputation)Supreme Being - (19,762 reputation)Supreme Being - (19,762 reputation)Supreme Being - (19,762 reputation)Supreme Being - (19,762 reputation)

Last Active: 1/10/2014 10:12:43 AM
Why are there so many people who attends the festival mainly because of Alcest?
I mean, I haven't heard so much of them, but this don't sounds like extreme metal
to me at all! I think they fit perfectly at the club night!
But I agrre with you guys about Gothminister! They don't fit in at all!
I'm not too exited about this years lineup either, but at least there are quality in
the bands that are the good ones, like Napalm Death, Soilent Green, Malevolent
Creation, Pentagram, Immortal, Einherjer and Exhumed, to mention some!
I am looking very much forward to the festival, as I do every year!Wink
Knuð
 Posted 1/24/2011 4:07:49 PM
Supreme Being

Lars (23.01.2011)
2) Not all of the clubs on Wednesday are booked by us per say. Ee pay for the bands but the bands are selected by cooperating organisations. I'm sure some have noticed that the John Dee is called Indie Labelnight which means they select the bands to play there. Rock in is booked by South of Heaven.

SOH had Alcest confirmed early on and although we discussed moving them to the main days we decided it wouldn't really be a good idea. It's sort of like stealing a band from a partner or punishing them cause the made a good booking.

Of course it would also be difficult due to the schedule they had.

Thank you for your answers.

I strongly disagree with you on the quoted text, though. I do see your point about "punishing" people for making a good booking, but by placing Alcest at Rock In, I feel you are instead "punishing" the fans and the early ticket buyers much more, as elaborated in my original post - because you are indeed announcing Alcest as part of the Inferno festival.

And there really are other ways of rewarding the people who made that booking. I assume that SOH, or perhaps another organisation, took care of the booking at Rock In last year as well, but I have to say this was not very evident. Neither was it very evident this year, before you commented on this post. To give the organisation more credit for the booking, you could for instance have written "South of Heaven presents Alcest on Inferno 2011" in the announcement, and put more emphasis on this other places as well.

And please don't get me wrong here. I think you've generally done a good job with the festival. =)
However, this year I feel there are certain things that could have been done better - such as the early ticket buyers/Alcest issues.